What is On-Page Search Engine Optimization and how it can affect your website’s Search Engine Ranking.
There are number of factors that affect the page rank of a web site in different search engines. These factors are broadly classified as internal and external page ranking Factors. Site structure and layout is an important part of Internal Page ranking factor that determines the position of a web site where it will rank in the relevant search result.
Few of the points below are helpful when setting up a web site page. One of the common myths about number of pages a site should have is, more the pages – better the rank. However, that is not true. Number of pages may be limited but it is the content that matters. Ongoing update and addition of your website pages helps search engines like Google to count it as fresh content. Updates from time to time such as publishing articles, news, press release, useful tips etc are helpful.
1. Page Size: Less words / sentences on a web page will less likely to get attention during search engines listing because quality content in adequate words are one of the main parameters to count a page as quality page. Most of these search engines counts a page with 400 to 3000 words on a page as good page (Around 2000 to 20,000 characters).
2. Relevant Page Names: Instead of naming an internal page in numbers/nodes like xyz/1, a relevant page name positively should have a targeted keyword.
3. Avoid Sub Directories: Sub directories should be routed through main directory
4. Targeted Keywords: Web pages should have repetitive occurrence of targeted keywords (at least 3 to 4 times, depending upon the overall length of the page content).
5. Keyword Density: There is a hidden formula generally followed by search engines to measure relative frequency of words mentioned Vs total number of words on a web page ( in terms of percentage) For example if a page has 10 times occurrence of specific word on a 100 words written content, the keyword density is 10%. Both higher and lower keyword density is no helpful for any site. Lower percentage will make it uncounted for and higher can be considered as spam. Therefore, having a balance is important. Optimum value is around 5% to 7%.
6. Main Menu Options: As a rule, site main menu should have some targeted keywords.
7. Location of text: Expert think, targeted keywords and phrases should be at beginning of the page. It helps in getting immediate attention of a search engines.
8. Text Formatting: Search Engines consider text special i.e. headings, bold, underlined. Other than this, title tag of any page, Alt Attribute for each image, Description in Meta tags etc also play vital role.
NextGen ebiz Solutions specializes in development of e-business strategies and solutions for small to medium business in Australia through web redesign, Responsive websites, Search Engine optimization, e-commerce and Internet Marketing. www.nextgenebiz.com.au